All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Full mouth teeth extraction

Hi there

I'm 37 and I have been in pain now for several months with TMJ, my teeth rotting from inside out and just cracking apart. I've had root canals to just end up in more pain. The last root canal I had done was beginning of December and I'm still in horrible pain. I can't even slide my teeth across the tooth or the one next to it. I grind and clench my teeth every night. I just need my teeth extracted. Can I be put to sleep and healing dentures applied? I'm terrified so I live in pain :(
Poster
  • 38 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: Over the counter Tylenol and Motrin

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

6 UpVoted this answer
I would advise a follow up visit with the doctor that did your last root canal. In addition to that, you need to see your regular dentist for a full mouth treatment planning. Your dentist can refer you to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate your TMJ pain. The oral and maxillofacial surgeon and your regular dentist will work together to best treat your dental issues and jaw pain.
Randall D. Stastny
4 UpVoted this answer
Dear Patient,

I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with your teeth and your jaw. First thing we should do is to figure out why you are having these problems, so we can fix them and not have them happen again. Why are you clenching and grinding? Could you be cracking teeth from clenching and grinding your teeth at night? Do you wear a night guard? Rotten teeth usually have to do with decay. Do you regularly maintain your teeth health with brushing, flossing and visits with your dentist? I do not recommend a denture. What if you clench and grind on your denture and that fails too?

I hope you are able to resolve these issues.

Here's to your health,

Dr. Makuta
Linda Y. Makuta
4 UpVoted this answer
We so often hear patient's complaints which, despite being aired to their dentists, go completely ignored. It is a fact that there sometimes is a great deal of attention given to "saving" (a tooth or teeth)--at any cost or suffering--despite the patient's underlying desire to remove them. Aside from this, any tooth or teeth which are a cause of such an interference with the normal activities of daily living--and danger to overall health--should be removed.Without an X-ray and exam, it is unwise to make recommendations. However, based on what you are saying, your next visit should be to your dentist to express your desire to remove some (or all) symptomatic teeth--or ALL the remaining teeth, with insertion of immediate dentures. This can be done by a board certified oral surgeon very safely--and comfortably--in an office settting. Regardless of how dentures may or may not 'fit' after teeth are removed, it's clear that you have "had enough" of dealing with your natural teeth. Undertake a frank discussion of all the risks, benefits, alternatives, or removing your teeth, along with the myriad of ways to replace "bad" teeth, especially with dental implants.
John R. Scuba
2 UpVoted this answer
Yes, you can have general anesthesia/ sedation to have all your teeth removed. An impression will need to be taken first to fabricate the TEMPORARY or interim denture. These denture will not be functional until you have healed completely (3 to 6 months). Once healing of the bone has occurred, a new impression for a new denture will need be taken or a reline of the temporary/ interim denture can be done. If you are having Tempo-mandibular Joint Disease issues, I would suggest a new denture be fabricated to make sure the space between the maxilla (top bone) and mandibular (jaw/ bottom bone) are spot on. Patients with TMD issues (pre denture) will only have more issues with their tempo-mandibular joint post full mouth extraction (interim denture) if the jaw relationship is not "set" correctly. Long term thoughts would be having implants placed down the road to secure the dentures in place. Not only will it help secure the dentures but the quality of life with dentures will increase.
2 UpVoted this answer
You sound like you have a very complex condition/situation. You should get a con beam/CT that can help evaluate your jaw joints, airway, facial bones and teeth. All of this is relevant to a proper reconstruction. If you have all of this going on in you mouth you may have systemic inflammation as well. It would be good to see a dentist that has a holistic/integrated team approach.
Lawrence D. Singer
2 UpVoted this answer
Wow...at 37 you seem to have a lot of dental issues to deal with. First of all, you really need to seek the advice of a dentist you feel comfortable with. Whether you go ahead with extractions or not, you really need consistent ongoing care. For you to reach this point, it appears as though you have not been seen regularly for some time. You may have numerous options. Even if you do decide to proceed with dentures, there are procedures that can be done in advance to increase retention and retain bone. You could be looking at 40 years in dentures so best plan for the long haul.
David M. Konys
2 UpVoted this answer
While I do not do this, there may be a dentist who specializes in sedation dentistry in your area. Check with your local dental society. Good luck.
Ronald F. Gravitz
1 UpVoted this answer
You need to go back to the dentist that originally performed the RC, let him help you, 37 is very young to be extracting all your teeth and having Immediate Dentures placed. Your dentist will discuss all your options and advise you.
Thomas A. Hogan
1 UpVoted this answer
It certainly sounds like you have had a difficult time and possibly some less than ideal dental care too. I tooth which has had root canal treatment completed should be painless quite shortly after it is completed, and if not, you should have gone back to tell the dentist of your pain, but I understand that you are fearful of almost anything at this point.

Sadly, at age 37, to loose all of your teeth to extraction will doom you to a difficult life thereafter, but it might be your best option now. Later if you finances allow it, 2 implants in each of the upper and lower arches will improve your quality of life considerably, and help you to chew almost anything. There will be some significant expense involved, but if you find the right dentist and are in better financial shape, it would be a good long term plan. Do not lose faith, look for a good prosthodontist who can make a good immediate denture and work closely with an oral surgeon to extract your teeth properly while fitting a good immediate denture. I wish you the best.
James M. Del Balso
Yes, provided you find the right dental team to treat you.