All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

BV

Hey so I am on my second round of flagyl for BV and I got it prescribed Monday, well woops I had unprotected sex Saturday night, my first question is, does this mean treatment is completely useless? Second question I'm supposed to get an IUD in Monday is this a wise decision or should I wait to see if my infection has cleared?
Poster
  • Female | 22 years old
  • Medications: Predisone
  • Conditions: Allergic reaction -undetermined cause being treated for this right now. Not related issue

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Dear BV,

BV is actually fairly common issue in women. Even though there is not a direct known cause, sexual intercourse without the use of condoms is one of the known risk factors for increasing BV, especially is you have multiple partners. Douching is also NOT recommended for this condition either as it upsets the normal floral balance in the vagina. Now having unprotected sex does not negate the treatment that you are currently using, and you need to finish all prescribed medication, but I would definitely recommend the judicious utilization of condoms with intercourse. Assuming the BV diagnosis was made with a culture vs. just symptomatology, antibiotic creams should help. If the flagyl is not controlling the abnormal bacteria, your OB/GYN will likely look to another antibacterial such as clindamycin for the third round.

Concerning the IUD, it is my opinion that you should not have this placed with an active infection. However, as always you should call your OB/GYN's office in advance and discuss this fully with the nursing staff and the doctor so that you can choose the best course of action with the current BV and placing the IUD after the BV has been cleared. The OB/GYN is the best practitioner to diagnose and treat these types of conditions.

Good luck.
1 UpVoted this answer
Let me answer the second question first, I would definitely not have an IUD placed if there is any possibility of a vaginal infection. With regard to your BV infection I would definitely not have unprotected intercourse while on therapy and there is some literature to suggest that maybe treating your partner may be helpful. You did not mention if you are in a mutually monogamous relationship or not, if not I would always recommend condoms to protect you from infections that are much more dangerous than BV. If Flagyl has not worked for your infection you should either try Clindamycin or question the diagnosis. Hope this helps. Good luck
The treatment was not useless, but it's best to get checked prior to getting the IUD.
Sexually active women will get "BV" periodically. The treatment is not useless if the discharge and bad odor

go away, but it is a normal consequence of sexual activity.

You can treat yourself with a "vulvar douche", (a wash cloth

soaked in Acidophillus milk, a couple of times a day for a few

days), which has the advantage of restoring the nomal vaginal bacteria, which tends to reduce the incidence of BV problems (don't use a commercial douche which can disrupt the normal vaginal organisms). Using an Acidophillus milk

douche can restore the normal bacteria after antibiotic therapy too.

BV is not a contraindication to placing an IUD,assuming there is an adequate cervical "prep" (e.g. betadine) as it is not an "ascending" infection, (is not considered a hazard for uterine/tubal infections), but you should be certain you are not at risk from ascending infection like chlamydia or gonorrhea, which can lead to more serious infection with an

IUD. Get checked for these infections before the IUD is placed and whenever you have a new sexual partner, after the IUD is placed, and consider using condoms to avoid BV

and STD's if you are not in a stable long term relationship.
Sex usually doesn't disturb "re-balancing" of bacteria in vagina during antibiotic treatment for BV.

Would wait until sure BV is clear before having IUD insertion to reduce risk of serious upper tract infection uterus & tubes).
Having had unprotected intercourse does not make the treatment useless, You should complete the course of Flagyl as prescribed . The decision about whether to proceed with having an IUD placed should not change because of the recent bout of Bacterial Vaginosis , but this should be reviewed with your gynecologist at the appointment.
Kyle A Baker
The treatment is not completely useless, at times the infection might linger around until a few days after the antibiotics are completed. As far as the IUD, there is no contraindication to placing an IUD with an active BV infection - as opposed to chlamydia or gonorrhea infection.
Samit Patel
I would get another round of flagella, put a hold on the IUD till next month and use a condom during intercourse till you are cleared.
Ken Sinervo