All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

I had a absess on my gum, it burst. Everything taste funny now for a couple of weeks.I now have a dull ache in my left arm that some times moves up into my left shoulder. Could this be from the absess?

Could an absess in the mouth result into a heart attack.
Poster
  • Male | 62 years old
  • Complaint duration: 16 days
  • Medications: I was givin Amoxicillin. It didn't seem to help
  • Conditions: I had teeth loosed from a car accident.

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

4 UpVoted this answer Amarjot S Sajan, DDS Dentist, Victoria Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh David J. Darab, DDS, MS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hickory Bill Argersinger, DDS Dentist, Durham
First - If you think you are having a heart attack, stop reading and call 911!

If that's not the case, understand that toothaches and abscesses can cause strange symptoms; the nerves and muscles of the head and neck are very densely packed which results in "crossed circuits" and "false sensations."

Pain and sensation is often times referred from the offending tooth to another area of the head and neck or body. And this can happen in reverse. This is why a heart attack symptom can manifest itself as jaw pain. Also, when we are in pain, we alter our chewing and sleeping patterns which can result in strange aches and pains elsewhere in the body.

Bottom line: a draining abscess is not normal and should be treated by a dentist. You may need a different or stringer antibiotic than the Amoxicillin that you already mentioned; a dull ache in your left arm could be indicative of something more and you should pursue this if you have any hint of it being heart related. Keep a diary of the symptoms, their frequency, intensity and duration and this will help aid in the diagnosis.

Best of luck,

Dr. Rick Liftig
Rick Liftig
2 UpVoted this answer Bill Argersinger, DDS Dentist, Durham
First things first. Far more important in your comments is the arm and shoulder pain. Tooth abscesses are rarely the cause of pain as distant as in a shoulder or arm. Such pain on the left side while possibly orthopedic in nature, is quite worrisome for underlying heart problems and it would be wise to have this evaluated by your physician immediately--the abscess management is secondary. Your abscess most definitely requires treatment, but proper treatment is NOT 16 days of antibiotics! This gum abscess is likely from a tooth or the gums and so will require either a root canal of a tooth, or extraction, and possibly further treatment of the cause of the abscess--after the evaluation of your arm and shoulder pain.
John R. Scuba
1 UpVoted this answer
You need the immediate care of a competent dentist and physician. I highly recommend you get and READ the book "Beat the Heart Attack Gene" by Brad Bale, MD and Amy Doneen, ARPN. Chapter 14 has specific dental advice.
1 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
If you suspect you are having a heart attack, you should immediately go in to the ER. They will do testing to find out if you are having or had a heart attack. Once you have been treated for your symptoms and cleared to go home, I would recommend a visit to your dentist. It sounds like you have periodontal/gum disease and there is a link between many systemic health problems and Periodontal disease. Heart disease is very common in people who have active gum infections. Hopefully it is not a heart attack and you can get you dental infection treated before it causes further health problems.
i feel you need to be checked by your doctor with referral for Cardiology assessment.It is possible for you to be experiencing TIA ischemic changes that may denote some underlying heart condition.Please treat the matter seriously to prevent an emergency.
Vinay Jerath
If you think that you may be having a heart attack you need to go straight to your local ER. You should address your heart concerns first and then concentrate on your teeth. It is not normal or healthy to have an abscessed tooth and it will not go away on its own. You need to see a dentist for a full exam and xrays to determine what is going on as soon as your medical doctors think that you are healthy enough to have dental treatment. Good luck
A tooth abscess does not produce symptoms like you are experiencing. Its a coincidence they are happening at the same time. Get your heart checked before its too late.
i would get the heart attack question resolved by checking in a nearby emergency facility. An abscess would not be causing a heart attack!
I would immediately contact my physician if you are experiencing a dull ache in your left arm. It may be indicative of a serious problem. It is possible that pain from your tooth is referred to your arm. However, any pain with those symptoms should be assessed by a physician.

An abscess is not going to result from a heart attack. It is likely due to an infection in the gums or tooth. It should be assessed by a dentist.
Timothy Agapas
Bacteria may get into the blood if you have an infection or wound in another part of the body. In particular, dental and mouth infections are situations where bacteria can quite easily get into the bloodstream. If the infection spreads it can damage parts of the heart. It is a serious infection that is life-threatening. Please see your physician as soon as possible.