All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Enlarged uterus

What could be the reason my dr had me get a vaginal ultrasound and she said my uterus is enlarged. It was painful on the right side ovaries when I was examined. I have not received my results yet and it had been two weeks
Poster
  • Female | 51 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 66
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Conditions: Perimenipausal
  • Hospitalizations: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
Usually a pelvic U/S is ordered because the doctor is concerned about the pelvic exam findings or the patient has symptoms but the pelvic exam is normal. I do not think it is possible on pelvic exam to know for sure if the mass is coming from the uterus or the ovaries or tubes, the ultrasound will help to sort that out. I am sorry to hear that it has been two weeks and you have not heard about the results, in my practice you would usually get a call within 3-4 days. As soon as we get the report we call the patient. I would call your doctor and ask her to track down the results for you. Good luck.
1 UpVoted this answer
I agree with the previous responder. Seek a second opinion and come up with a firm diagnosis.
1 UpVoted this answer
The most common causes of an enlarged uterus is uterine fibroids and adenomyosis. Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths that can be relatively small or very large, making the uterus large in size. It can cause symptoms like abnormal bleeding, increased urination, bloating, etc. If symptoms are severe, treatment may be embolism to cut off the blood supply to the fibroids or surgery to remove the fibroids (myomectomy) or the entire uterus (hysterectomy). Other treatments include endometrial ablation (when the inside lining of the uterus is removed) and myolysis (when freezing or an electric current is used to destroy the fibroids). Medications may also to help control painful periods.
Shanicka Williams
1 UpVoted this answer
Wait for the results
Don Ha
1 UpVoted this answer
There are many potential explanations for an enlarged uterus or pelvic mass. Most common would be uterine fibroids or ovarian cysts. The uterus can also be enlarged by a condition called adenomyosis. Make a follow up appointment with your doctor to discuss the results and go over options for treatment.
The results of the ultrasound will show if there are Uterine Fibroids or Ovarian Cysts. The physician will be able to direct the treatment based on the results.
The most common cause of this is fibroids. Tenderness is often associated with adenomyosis which on ultrasound looks like a fibroid. If you have symptoms and need treatment I would not recommend uterine sparing procedures and would move directly to hysterectomy at your age. The risk of uterine leiomyosarcoma is increased in your age category.
Jack Tubbs