All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

teeth staining

I have professionally whitened my teeth and used home whitening. Every time I drink wine or coffee I feel they get much darker and reverse the effects of whitening. What can I do? Is there protectant against these drinks?
Poster
  • 25 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: na
  • Conditions: na

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Armine Nazarian, DMD Dentist, Beverly Hills
Anything that can stain a white t-shirt can stain your teeth. While you are using bleaching products the surface of the enamel is more porous and anything of color should be avoided until you are done with the whitening and for an additional week or so. If you want the best results, do not consume anything of color, don't smoke or chew tobacco products, and keep your teeth as clean as possible. Since this is not practical to any normal person, you can counteract the effects of the staining by having great home care, seeing your hygienist regularly, and using whitiening products on an "as needed" basis to touch up the whitening.
Consult with your dentist. Ask about switching to a product with nano technology to seal off the micro openings caused by whitening products.
Each time you bleach your teeth you open pores in your teeth. It can take several days following the bleaching procedure for these pores to close and resist staining. If you continuously bleach then theses pores are constantly open and subject to stain. You may consider to switching to white wine and drinking coffee with a straw.
James A. Vito
Try changing the brand.Tooth paste with baking soda (smokers toothpaste) is slightly more abrasive and may be more effective in removing beverage stains.The tooth surface devoid of cracks,rough fillings will attract fewer stains and hence a professional cleaning /prophylaxis by Dentist/Hygienist on a regular basis will help.
Vinay Jerath
I would try using activated charcoal as a whiting agent it will make your teeth far less sensitive then the commercial products
Victor Zeines
Wine, coffee, tea are a few of the primary things we drink that consistantly stains our teeth. There is no absolute protectants against these drinks. What I would recommend is you drink alot of clear liquids (water) throughout the day and see your dentist/hygienist for cleanings more often
I don't know of any "protectant" for your teeth. Brushing your teeth after consuming the drinks and food that you suspect are staing your teeth. More frequent proffesional cleanings will help.
since you had power whitening, and home whitening, your teeth must be white, if not something is wrong.

It could be due to the fact that you do have micro cracks and severe porosity, that being said, check with your cosmetic dentist near you.

Obviously you are also defeating the purpose of keeping your teeth white, IF you are a red wine, or heavy coffee or tea drinker, you must brush and floss after every time you do drink stained liquids, that might help you tremendously, also brush and floss prior and after home bleaching, if you do have dental restorations which are porous, those can be checked by a dentist near you as well.
If you are truly committed to having white teeth you will need to curtail your intake of these two and many other dark pigmented and acidic beverages. Repeated whitening can make your teeth more susceptible to staining by changing the molecular architecture of the crystals that make up the enamel of you teeth. Also be sure to have realist expectations. Many celebrities on television have veneers to make there teeth white. The advent of HD TV pushed many celebrities to nip, tuck and veneer over the past 10 years They are unnaturally white perfect teeth.and have contributed to a unrealistic objective to chase for most people.
You should probably use a toothpaste and mouthwash that has some sort of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in them. Decrease your coffee consumption and switch to white wine, don't go to tea, as that stains the teeth just as bad or worse.