All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Tongue blisters post root canal

I got a root canal done 3 days back. My temporary filling was very sharp and it cut my tongue from underneath. I visited the dentist and got it smoothened. However, there are still two big reddish blisters on the side of the tongue where the root canal was done. They burn when I am eaing/drinking biting etc. Any remedies?
Poster
  • 26 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: Ibuprofen

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

5 UpVoted this answer
The blisters can be the result of some type of irritation . Possible the medicaments use in the root canal therapy, root canal clamps , sharp edges on the tooth , or possibly biting the tongue.

I suggest pink Himalayan sea salt for a week. If they are still present see your dental.
3 UpVoted this answer
The blisters should heal on their own with in a week. To help alleviate pain your best bet is warm salt water rinses three times a day. If the blisters are still present in a week make an appointment to see your dentist and have it rechecked. Good Luck!
2 UpVoted this answer
You might want to use an over the counter ointment , "Orabase with Benzocaine". It is a topical anesthetic that will give you some relief during healing. Is it possible you may have bit your tongue while anesthetized for the root canal treatment? If the sores are not gone in 10 days, have your dentist check them.
Richard M. Klein
1 UpVoted this answer
If the blisters are from the sharp tooth/filling, then it should go away in a week. No longer than 2 weeks. You can use an over-the-counter Benzocaine gel/liquid, such as Orajel.
1 UpVoted this answer
If the blisters were caused by the sharp tooth/ filling they will heal usually in 7 to 10 days.

Over the counter medication like ORAJEL- mouth sore gel will give you pain relief.

If after 2 weeks there is no improvement you should see the dentist again.
1 UpVoted this answer
BIOTENE MOTHWASH HELPS A LOT.
David Youssefi
Several things could have caused your tongue blisters / ulcers. in almost all cases they will resolve in 7-10 days if the 'cause' part of the equation has been addressed by your dentist. During this time the ulcerated area will be sore and that soreness can be relieved with any number of over the counter remedies such as orabase. Another easy to find remedy are "SUCRETS" cough drops. They contain a strong anesthetic called "diclonine" that can make your whole mouth feel nearly numb... and I bet that big sandwich that you're craving will go down a lot easier... it will just taste like ... um .... cough drops. :)
They are many medications used during a "root canal Treatment that may have burned you inadvertently or you may be allergic two. Return to your dentist and document the reaction at least.
Warm salt water rinse, and Ibuprofen will do the job just fine.
Michael Huynh
These blisters will probably go away in 7-10 days. They are not dangerous and a topical over the counter ointlmeet like benzocaine or orabase might improve the symptoms