All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Bone spur

I'm growing a bone like spur thing at the base of my tooth on the inside of my lower gums. It looks and feels like the root of the tooth has decided to turn sideways and protrude into my mouth under my tongue.
Poster
  • Female | 69 years old
  • Medications: Too many to list here.
  • Conditions: Heart valve regurgitating. CKD, arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, fibromyalgia.

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

15 UpVoted this answer William H. Slavin, DDS Dentist, Manteno Lisa M. Murray, DDS Dentist, Fridley
It is 99.9% likely a tori. They are often the result of grinding and clenching - especially during sleep. Given your other conditions, there is a high possibility of grinding and clenching during sleep (sleep bruxism). Sleep bruxism is associated with poor sleep due to sleep disordered breathing and or pain. I highly recommend that you get a sleep test ordered by one of your doctors or a dentist. Bones will growe in response to stress - the stress that is being applied is grinding or clenching. The Tori themselves are not as serious as the underlying etiology of what may be causing them - possibly apnea. www.capitaltmjcenter.com
Lawrence D. Singer
11 UpVoted this answer
You need to see your dentist or get referred to an oral surgeon or periodontist. This usually does not go away on its own. Sometimes a little piece of bone will flick out and the gums heal, but otherwise you will need to have a small surgery on the gum to remove the bone spur.
9 UpVoted this answer Steven Davidowitz, DDS,FICOI Dentist, New York City
In all probability is a Torus, a boney protuberance. Usually bilateral (Tori). Benign and common. See your Dentist for definative diagnosis to rule out other causes and to determine if size/position warrents referral to Oral Surgeon.
Arnold J. Malerman
7 UpVoted this answer
Your description sounds like a tori, a boney protrusion. It is usually associated with bruxing/grinding and can get larger over time. Tori are benign, but you should consult with your dentist to monitor any changes. There is no treatment needed for tori, but they can be uncomfortable if you need to have impressions taken or need to wear an appliance (such as a retainer or denture) that can interfere with it.
6 UpVoted this answer
Sorry to say that my long-distance x-ray vision can't diagnose this over the Internet. Have it checked out of course. A question that comes to mind immediately is, "have you taken any osteoporosis medicines? (Boniva and similar"). And a second question, "have you had any surgery in the area that might have damaged the bone?"

While it is possible that it is a tori, they are usually long standing, lumpy and found on both sides of the inner jaw.
6 UpVoted this answer Rick Liftig, DMD, F.A.G.D. Dentist, West Hartford
Actually, you have not asked a question, but have stated your condition.your description is indicative of several types of conditions. Some of them are normal and required no treatment. Others require professional intervention. The best bet is to see your dentist to diagnose your situation.
5 UpVoted this answer
Without looking at it, an educated guess is most likely an more common than not a Tori or extra bone. You should check with your dentist to confirm this. If you are not going to have a denture made any time, this must be removed in order for the denture to fit. If you are healthy individual 'teeth wise' then I would not worry about it.
Michael Huynh
5 UpVoted this answer
Sounds like a normal outgrowth of bone called a torus which most folks don't realize they have had for a long time until the mucous membrane over it somehow gets injured (coarse foods, chips, pizza burn, etc). If continuing to bother you it can be removed easily. Have an oral surgeon look at this, and make sure that if treatment is proposed he can manage your medical conditions. And make sure of the "too many to list" you identify any osteoporosis drugs like Fosamax, Actonel, etc.
John R. Scuba
4 UpVoted this answer
I would advise you to see an oral surgeon. It is most likely an extra growth of bone we refer to as tori. This commonly occurs from clenching or grinding of the teeth
3 UpVoted this answer
This is likely a torus. A bony overgrowth due to excess force placed on bone from clenching or grinding your teeth. I would get an exam by your dentist to verify. Usually they are a non issue unless you need a removable denture of some sort, then they can get in the way and may need to be removed surgically.
Stafford Conley, Jr.