All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Is there a way to prevent teeth staining?

I drink both red wine and coffee daily. Is there a way to prevent staining besides just teeth brushing?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 64 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Sujatha H. DeSilva, DDS Dentist, Staten Island
You have had a lot of good responses. You need some sort of whitening product other than toothpaste. Either custom trays or over the counter products, like Crest White strips. They would work best to bleach once a week to keep your teeth from staining. Also invest in a Sonicare toothbrush and SLOW DOWN when using the brush. Most people go way to fast when brushing
Most staining is external. If you brush your teeth and floss properly despite the wine and coffee that should be enough. However some people have teeth that have more robust surface anatomy. Some teeth have vertical ridges and depressions that can trap stains like the porous surface of concrete or wood. This can be a problem rare as it may be as food and oral hygiene usually smooths these ridges down. I personally avoid whitening tooth paste because they use harsh abrasives and chemical to whiten the ename. Abrasives permanently remove enamel on e thin layer at a time to reveal new enamel to stan and remove. That does't add up to me. So I just brush well and indulge in those heavily pigmented foods and drinks with moderation. Try CloSys tooth paste its gentle on your teeth and hard on stains and bacteria.
I would say doing some form of whitening, whether its at home or in the dental office is the best solution. Also drinking lots of water, after coffee, throughout the day can help.
brushing is the simplest mechanical form of removing debris and plaque immediately and effectively. There are also many brush on type of whitener, mouth freshener applications for during the work, busy schedule to allow for some stain removal. most are found over the counter at more high end beauty product suppliers.
Coffe, Tea, wine, tomato juice,cherry juice, etc. all contribute to tooth discoloration. You can consult a cosmetic dentist who can advise you how to keep you smile the brightest. A whitening tooth paste used in conjunction with an electric toothbrush such as Sonicare could be quite beneficial. Also over the counter whitening products can help. Professional tooth whitening systems such as Zoom can improve the color of your teeth but it is up to the patient to preform routine maintenance at home. I think a Sonicare tooth brush that has a whitening mode in congestion to a whitening tooth paste will keep your dentition in an acceptable state.
To prevent staining, avoid the items that stain your teeth. To treat the staining, you can rinse with water after consuming the items that stain at a minimum; you can brush your teeth after drinking or eating; you can use over-the-counter or professional whitening agents; or you can cosmetically alter the teeth with veneers or crowns.
When you consume staining beverages avoid sipping throughout the day and brush after. If you cannot brush at least rinse with water. If you are using teeth whitening products at home avoid drinking red wine and coffee a few hours following whitening. This is when your teeth are most susceptible to absorbing new stain.
Staining of teeth is complicated and is unique to each mouth. It is dependent on any fillings or crowns you have in your mouth. It is dependent on any tartar that accumulates on your teeth (some people produce more, faster than others). It is dependent on any cracks or fractures of your teeth. It is dependent on the types of food and drink you consume. It is dependent on the amount of water you drink. It is dependent on how often you brush your teeth, for how long and how frequently you visit your dentist for a professional cleaning. The best at home tip is to drink plenty of water, especially right after consuming beverages that stain (ie. your wine and coffee). Brush regularly with an FDA approved cavity fighting toothpaste and visit your dentist regularly--if you produce enough tartar fast enough and the stain is that concerning to you, you may want to consider visiting your dentist more often to prevent the stain build-up!
Drink clear liquids. anything that could stain a white shirt can stain your teeth. Brushing and flossing are good deterrents, Using whitening products can also help maintain or enhance your natural shade. There are rotary electric devices similar to what the dentist or hygienist uses that can be bought on line and used in addition to brushing and flossing but you can have too much of a good thing. Always confer with your dentist.
If you get stains on your teeth, it is usually due to the artificial colors added to our food these days, however red wine, tea, or coffee exacerbates the stains. Make sure that your dentist checks you for micro cracks first, possibly seal the cracks, and check you for any gum recessions, the only way to get rid of stains since I am assuming they are external is by mechanically removal of stains, which you get that done with your dentist at cleaning appointments, you might use a more abrasive tooth paste, that can do the job, however I do not recommend it if you do have recessions of your gums or sensitivity of the roots.

One way to mask the stains is to place cosmetic porcelain veneers on your teeth, in which they do not discolor, since porcelain is not porous like the enamel of your teeth, or composite dental bonding. Bleaching and teeth whitening will be a help, but if you are a habitual red wine drinker, that defeats the purpose.

Hope I helped you.