All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

replace now or can i wait? i have insurance but dont want done for sake of doing if dont have to now?

i have had several opinions on the below work that needs to be done.

initial breakdown on 4, 5 , with #19.. my feeling is id rather not touch until i need it.. xrays show fine, clinically you can see beginning.. but every time a tooth is touched, you aggravate the nerve, pulp, do you recommend i wait so i can get max use of current restoration?

Recommendations (in order):

tooth # 19, crown

#,4 ,5 replace with composite or crown
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Steven Davidowitz, DDS,FICOI Dentist, New York City James E. Bertz, MD, DDS, FACS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Scottsdale
Of course, it's hard to comment intelligently, not having seen your teeth. It is true that anytime we work on a tooth, it may get grumpy. BUT, it is also true that the longer you wait to fix something, the more likely it is to decide to get grumpy. That's the Catch 22 of dentistry - everybody wants to hold out because they don't want to stir up trouble, but the longer they wait to fix it the more likely they are to end up with troubles when they do finally have the work done. Also, don't forget that the $200 filing today often becomes next year's $3000 root canal, post and crown if you let it go. And that's a serious bummer!!!! Also, it is my experience that sometimes the voice in your head giving you reasons to wait, is really the subconscious fear that we all have of having any procedure done, looking for any excuse it can come up with to get out of it - it's natural - we all do it! I can always come up with a good reason why today is not a good day to mow the lawn, because deep down, I just don't want to do it. I hope that's helpful. It's just my observations, having helped a lot of very fearful dental patients get through their treatment more happily. Again - I haven't seen your teeth or x rays, so I don't know how bad your situation is. These are just general observations. Best wishes!
John R. Whittemore
1 UpVoted this answer Maria R Burmaster, DDS Dentist, Marrero
Unfortunately there is not enough information here on which to base any recommendations. Might I suggest that you ask your Dentist to explain to you in laymans terms why he or she has made these recommendations. A good doctor patient relationship should be based not only upon a patients trust in the doctor, but also in the doctor being open to discuss issues with patients in the spirit of educating them such that they may make a proper informed consent.
James Blake
1 UpVoted this answer
It is usually better to repair teeth on an elective basis rather than wait until an emergency occurs. If you reside in an area where it is socially acceptable to have missing teeth, foul smelling breath and an unsightly smile you can let them go. It is usually more costly to repair or replace teeth that have bigger problems than those that present with minimal problems. For example if you need a filling replaced it may cost $300 dollars.. let it go and you could need a root canal treatment , core build up and crown and spend 10 times as much an not have as good of long range prognosis.
Without x-rays and having examined you it is very hard to give any advice on your question. It is the general rule of thumb that it is best to be proactive then wait. By the time the tooth is giving you trouble you may have went from a filling to root canals and crowns. You stated that you have had several opinions already and it sounds to me like you have not found a dentist that you have trust and confidence in. Its important that you find a dentist that you trust and has the same values and I think you will find it easier to make your decision. Good luck.
How old are the current restorations? Know that by the time you can see decay on an x-ray it is rather advanced.If the tooth goes for a long time with a old filling, it may develop a cavity, which can subsequently weaken the tooth structure and cause the tooth to break or crack. Without the filling, the tooth will also experience different forces that end up causing it to break.

If you wait too long, the tooth may break and become so badly decayed that it is what dentists like to call unrestorable. That means that just like Humpty Dumpty, nobody will be able to put that tooth back together again, and it will have to come out.
A good clinical exam coupled with proper radiographs and your own subjective analysis of the situation provides the best answer to your question. How old are the current restorations? Know that by the time you can see decay on an x-ray it is rather advanced since x-rays are only 2 dimensional. If your diet and hygiene efforts are good, you might slow the decay process somewhat but the process will continue. Do you trust your dentist's judgement? Is he/she willing to prioritize the treatment to work within your budget requirements? Treatment is never cheaper or less involved as time passes, but with good advice from your dentist you can make good decisions that suit your needs.
Sharon Szeszycki
Your red flag for me is that you have had several opinions. You need to settle in and find a Dentist in his/her OWN practice with YOUR best interest in mind. Then follow your heart. You will then know what to do.

Best of luck, Brian
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
I always say ask 10 dentists, you'll get 10 opinions. Sounds like you are hesitant to go ahead despite many opinions. Find a dentist you are comfortable with and proceed with treatment.
Lisa M. Murray
It is hard to fully comment based on the information you provided. However, you say that it is initial breakdown of the teeth, yet the treatment recommendations were crowns. Crowns are needed when there is a lot of broken down tooth structure that needs to be replaced, not "initial breakdown". Therefore, the teeth may be in a worse situation than you describe. Also, it is never a good idea to wait to have dental treatment completed. Waiting only causes decay to get worse and can lead to more costly treatment and discomfort.
The information you give is not enough to make a proper assessment of your problems. However, I know you should address the problems before they get worse.
J. Abe smith