All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Just had a prep for a crown on tooth #19

i have been wearing the temp since Tuesday.. all feels good thus far.

do you think i would need a root canal in the future?

i get he permanent placed on nov 12th.

how long should i wear the temp for?

based upon the dentists on here experience, if im feeling fine with no pain, should i be preventative and get root canal or does this mean im in the clear once the permanent is placed?

My concern is i do not want to drill in future my crown to do root canal, unless dentist going to take it off
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer
Great topic and question:

Here's my 2 cents! No symptoms is good, but no guarantee of a future problem. My experience has been that teeth without symptoms before preparation, after prep and in a temporary, typically do not not have symptoms after the crown is cemented with conventional crown and bridge adhesive.

Sensitivity to cold, awareness or pain to biting, etc, are related to nerve swelling inside the tooth, which can occur from damage to the tooth that required the crown, the act of shaping the tooth for a crown, or the cementation process if certain types of adhesives are used. The cementation sensitivity happens more often when crowns are bonded with resin adhesives, or the tooth was already sensitive.

I would not recommend a root canal unless you have symptoms related to that tooth. I always recommend the replacement of the crown if a root canal has to be performed after the crown is cemented, but often bond the internals of the tooth for 4-6 months with a tooth colored filling to verify the tooth is symptom free.

My experience has been(no actual study) that out of 100 crowns prepped with live nerves, 20 will have some sensitivity. Of those 20, sensitivity will go away for 10 if the final crown is cemented with a temporary adhesive within 6 weeks, and for an additional 3-5 patients by 13 weeks. Those other 5 with sensitivity after 13 weeks will most likely need endodontic therapy within 6 months to 5 years after the crown preparation.

Since you currently seem in the clear, odds are already in your favor...but no guarantee that you won't need additional treatment in the future on that tooth. Keep them as clean as possible and see your dentist regularly for cleanings and check up xrays, and do not ignore symptoms.

Good luck with your care!
Douglas B. Weber
3 UpVoted this answer
There is absolutely no way of predicting whether or not your tooth will require a root canal in the future. Only a fraction of teeth with crowns (I believe the number is 20% if I remember the literature correctly) require endodontic therapy. That is not due to the crowns themselves, but due to whatever insult resulted in the tooth requiring the crown in the first place. If there is no current evidence of you needing root canal therapy, then I would go forward with getting your permanent crown on November 12th. Should you require root canal therapy in the future, you can discuss your options at that time, but I often remove crowns before I treat teeth when it is possible.

Multiple studies have shown that endodontic therapy does not make teeth "brittle" or "dry out " as teeth are comprised of mineralized tissue. They are not living as demonstrated by their inability to regenerate like bone. The reason teeth that have had root canals are more prone to fracture is because they are structurally compromised due to less tooth structure. When these teeth have been treated conservatively and restored properly they are less likely to fracture.
2 UpVoted this answer
In normal situations, you should only wear a temporary crown for as long as it takes to have a permanent one fabricated. Long term studies show that about 30% of all crowned teeth eventually need root canal therapy at some point in a person's life. I, however, would not elect for Root Canal Therapy unless it truly was needed. I would also not take the crown off, I would do the root canal through the top of the crown.
Brent C. Goldthorpe
2 UpVoted this answer
Don't get a root canal unless it is absolutely necessary. Even then I would consider extraction of the tooth. So, hopefully the perm. crown does well!
Mark F. Stabley
2 UpVoted this answer
Thanks for the question . If you have no symptom of pain of any sort while in the temp then you have no problem at all. once the crown has been delivered in place you should be fine as long as you keep up with good hygienne, that is brushing and flossing well. but in future if the tooth requires a root canal procedure. then there are two options. your dentist can drill through the crown and fill it in once the procedure is complete or the crown can be removed and the root canal done then replace the crown back. this is determined by the dentist on what state the crown will be at that time. I hope you understood me here. Thank you very much if you have more questions please dont hesitate to ask.
1 UpVoted this answer
There is no way to tell without an examination of your tooth..
Brian Stoute
1 UpVoted this answer
There are two schools of thought on whether to do root canal without confirmed signs or symptoms but go on "gut feeling'. I agree that it is very distasteful to get a root canal treatment after a newly placed crown. You may consider wearing the temporary several months until you and your dentists feel the risk of the tooth needing root canal in the near future is minimal. I am not a big fan of doing root canal without definite signs and/or symptoms unless you are leaving the country or some other extenuating circumstance. General the less dentistry you get the better.
1 UpVoted this answer
There are no guarantees. I am sure the dentist did some pulpal tests and has seen the periapical-xray Even if there are no signs of needing a rootcanal treatment, you still may need one. You can't predict the future.
1 UpVoted this answer
Hi There,

In order to adequately answer this question, we will need to see you for a consult. The answers vary case per case. We cannot determine if you will need a root canal, because it depends on how much decay there was and how close to the root the restoration goes. As far as how long you should wear the temporary, that depends on your bite and the type of material used and the quality of the temporary crown. As far as getting a root canal early, we do not recommend that in any case. We try to avoid root canals if we think there is a possibility the restoration will last. Like I said, in order to have more detail, we recommend a consultation.
Ron J. Kolodziej
You could have the crown placed with a temporary cement (temp bond). If there are no symptoms, the temparary cement can be replaced when it becomes loose. Your dentist will need to monitor your situation.
J. Abe  Smith