All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

chipped molar cutting my tongue

I chipped my bottom molar... no pain... dentist appointment next week. ... but it is sharp and cutting my tongue. ... what can I do?
Poster
  • Female
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

98 UpVoted this answer
I don't usually recommend this but if you just cannot get in to see a dentist, take an emery board and while looking in the mirror, gently try to dull that sharp edge until you can get in to see the dentist!
Michael L. Green
53 UpVoted this answer
Take an OTC pain killer like Ibuprofen. Rinse w salt water. cover the edge of the fracture with dental wax, reapplying as needed. Dab Orabase-B onto irritated spot on your tongue with a Q-Tip. Ask the Dentist to call you if they have a n opening in their schedule any sooner. Ask the Dentist if they could see you for a few moments just to smooth out the rough spot.
Arnold J. Malerman
52 UpVoted this answer
You can cover your tongue with a small child's sock. If you choose a red one nobody will know.

OR

cover with soft wax (bees wax is edible), chewing gum, dab of denture adhesive, gummy worm, etc............
Kurt Mitchler
49 UpVoted this answer Kirk K. Yen, DDS, MAGD,FICOI Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, San Jose
Any big pharmacy will carry orthodontic wax that you can put on the sharp spot. Most dentists will slip you in to smooth off the sharp spot. Give them a call.
Timothy Agapas
36 UpVoted this answer
If your dentist cannot see you sooner to smooth out the tooth, you can contact a local orthodontist. Wax can cover the sharp edges, but it will come off when there is excessive saliva. There is a new product called Comfort Braces that some of our orthodontists recommend to patients. It will last longer than wax.
25 UpVoted this answer
While I would never recommend taking an emory file to the spot, my patient told me last week that he did just that to solve the problem!!! The best solution is to call your dentist. He/she will find time to address the problem and who knows? Maybe there will even be time in the schedule to attend to the solution. If not, orthodontic wax to be found at any pharmacy will provide some comfort short term.
Sharon Szeszycki
25 UpVoted this answer
Two options: Get in to your dentist and have it smoothed off or take an emory board and try to smooth it yourself
23 UpVoted this answer
A chipped tooth is not always an emergency. In your case it appears to be more of an annoyance / irritant. Call you dentist and see if you can be seen sooner as you do not want condition to worsen. Good luck!
23 UpVoted this answer
The best at home fix for a small chip in a molar can be found at most drug stores as an over the counter item. It is normally in the form of a wax that is applied into the chip, and must be continually applied after eating and as it is dislodged. Lacerations to the tongue from a fractured tooth can become painful and infected, so it will be prudent to visit your dental professional sooner rather than later for a permanent restoration of your fractured tooth.
Jason C. Ako
21 UpVoted this answer
Temporary filling material is available as well as orthodontic wax at any Pharmacy. Call your dentist if that does not work, normally we can see you to relieve your pain.

Best of luck, Brian
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS