All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Wisdom Tooth Pain

I got all my wisdom teeth out about two years ago, as of two days ago I started to get this numbing yet sharp pain on the bottom left of my mouth where the wisdom tooth was. This makes it hard to eat on that side of my mouth. Should I be worried about this?
Poster
  • 22 years old
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer David G. Milder, DDS, MD Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, San Diego
You should go have your dentist look at this area. You should be getting your teeth cleaned every six months and having your dentist look at your dentition to make sure everything is healthy. Sometimes after wisdom teeth extraction pockets can form where wisdom tooth was. These pockets need to be kept clean.
James A. Snow
1 UpVoted this answer
You should get it checked. There may be a bone fragment or chip of tooth or something worse going on. You should not have pain this long after the surgery.
You should have returned to your dentist for a review. Tooth are bone fragments may have remained in the gum causing irritation or infection.
J. Abe  Smith
You should not ignore your symptoms. I recommend you go see a dentist and get an x-ray of the area. It could be one of many things but you definitely want to make sure it is not a cyst that is applying pressure on the nerve and causing the numbing sensation.
There could be a tooth fragment either impinging on the nerve or trying to work its way out. You should see a dentist to get the area examined.
On rare occasions these are symptoms of a heart attack. So get the area checked soon. Most likely the reason is dental in nature causing the discomfort. See your dentist and have it checked. If a referral is needed, it will be dealt with then and to the appropriate practitioner.
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
You should have it checked out. There could be multiple reasons for that. I used to get a slight pain where my lower left wisdom tooth was, but haven't for 30 years...I had phantom tooth pain. There could be a tooth fragment either impinging on the nerve or trying to work its way out, there could be a cyst there, you could have an extra wisdom tooth that is shifting position (I once had a patient with 8 wisdom teeth--2 in each position!) or you could have had nerve damage from the surgery that is now being felt--those are just some of the reasons. But, get it checked out, preferably by whomever took them out!
Louis B. Sachs
This history is VERY TROUBLESOME. Tell your dentist about it , BUT SEE AN ORAL SURGEON. If an oral surgeon removed your wisdom teeth, that's the one to see first. NEVER let this become a long lasting symptom without a definitive diagnosis and relief.
Yes you should be worried about it. It's not an emergency situation, but you should find out why your mouth is experiencing that pain.
I would not be worried at this point, but I would not ignore the symptoms either. There are many possible explanations for the symptoms you describe. A quick exam and an xray of the area are likely to provide the information needed to determine the source of the problem--it may not have anything to do with the wisdom tooth, but without an exam and xray that is just a guess.