All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

bleeding too much

I'm 18 and have been bleeding for 45 days. The bleeding has been super heavy and I've had blood clots the size if my hand. Yes my hand. Not only do I have bleeding but I have been experiencing bad pelvic and back pain. Sometimes the pain will be out of no where and so severe that I am on all fours on a matter of a couple seconds. Then I can feel a large blood clot exit as well. Gross I know. Doctors and ED said it's fine and gave me birth control to stop it and so far nothing. Any advice?
Poster
  • 20 years old
  • Complaint duration: 45 days
  • Medications: N/A
  • Conditions: N/A
  • Hospitalizations: once

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Your bleeding is most likely due to your not having ovulated during the month before this "period" started. When it comes to female hormones, everyone thinks of estrogen. But the hormone progesterone is equally important. Progesterone causes your period to start and makes your uterine lining shed completely within a few days. But to make progesterone, you have to ovulate. No egg release, no progesterone. The result is the long, heavy bleeding you have experienced. Because of this bleeding, your uterine cavity literally fills up with blood and the blood coagulates. Then your uterus literally labors -- contracts until it "delivers" the clot. That's the pain. I don't think that a once-a-day regimen of birth control pills is going to control your issue very quickly. I would prefer to give you rather large amounts of progesterone and estradiol in a tapering fashion over 26 days, after which you would hopefully have a more normal period. You could start OCP's on about the fourth day of that. If you want exact amounts of the estrogen/progesterone "rescue kit" I would prefer, let me know. I am assuming (but you must be sure) that you are neither pregnant, infected, or on anticoagulant drugs. Also, you sound as if this bleeding is unusual for you. If you chronically skip periods and/ or have heavy bleeding, take a rescue regimen to control this episode, then get on birth control pills and stay onthem.
Kathryn B. Einhaus
This situation in your very young age requires the services of an OB- Gyn who can easily diagnose and treat this issue which is very frequently seen. I have dealt with this many times

and treated it successfully.
With previously normal periods the treatment is usually birth control pills in various regimens after ultrasound to ensure that the uterus is normal. A D&C is also an option to re-establish a normal pattern in a shorter time. Testing for bleeding problems should also be performed since these often present in this fashion.
Jack Tubbs
Having regular periods is a result of cyclic production of estrogen followed by progesterone from your ovaries. Women who don't ovulate often have irregular and sometimes heavy, prolonged periods. There are some hormonal blood tests that should be checked to confirm this and that this isn't due to other hormonal abnormalities.

That being said birth control pills are commonly used to regulate a women's period. The result may not be perfect during the initial cycle, but usually will improve into a predictable pattern of lighter, shorter periods. They can also be used in higher doses (taking multiple pills each day only under a doctor's instructions) for short interventions when bleeding is excessive.
Rule out tumors and other causes with blood tests andMRI

IF IT IS INDEED ENDOMYTRIOSIS , then there are 3 choices:

1. Take birth control pills

2. See a good Doc of Chimese medicine, take herbs and acupuncture for 1 to 3 months twice weekly

3. Surgeries
Don Ha
There are lots of reasons to bleed heavily. Make sure you are not pregnant, and that you don't an infection. For instance, chlamydia can sometime present as a bleeding problem. If your periods were not monthly before this all started, then birth control pills are the best answer. Give the pills time to work. Take iron if you are anemic. Seek help if you saturate a pad in an hour or less. Taking Alleve every 8 hours can help with the cramps, and decrease bleeding some. Avoid aspirin.
I went in today (friday) to get a second opinion and again, like the other doctors, he said it was all normal.. he just suggested i take a pill that has a higher amount of progesterone because he thinks my problem was based soley on the fact that 'i didnt have enough progesterone in the first place to release my unfertalized egg. Therefore I'm just bleeding.. (which doesn't make sense to me).' I'm just at a loss and fed up with the lack of answers and sense of urgency from my doctors.
Poster
You definitely need to get a 2nd opinion. This is not normal and it needs to ba addressed as soon as possible.