All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Breathing problems

Lately I have been feeling as if I cannot breathe. I feel that way in my chest as if oxygen is not passing by that point and like there is none in my chest. This has never really happened before but just started during a performance I did on Thursday. Can you tell me what is wrong? Also I am a female and 14.
Poster
  • 18 years old
  • Medications: I am not taking any medication
  • Conditions: I have vasil vago, but I havent had an episode since I was little.

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Jane A. Weiss, LCSW Psychotherapist, Salt Lake City
Most of the time, what you describe is a symptom of anxiety that can be relieved by dropping and gently pushing your lower jaw forward and taking small in breaths and long, slow out breaths. If it is accompanied by other symptoms of anxiety, relief can also be obtained by making yourself gag (without throwing up) 4-5 times. The spasm of the diaphragm, a very powerful muscle, releases energy and relaxes the body. There are also relaxation exercises you can learn, including sitting in a comfortable chair and progressively squeezing and relaxing your muscles going from your feet up your body to your scalp and hands and back down (toes, feet, ankles, calves, thighs, etc) one set of muscles at a time.
Robert Hoffman
Performance anxiety is a common event among even accomplished performers. Try working with a Psychologist who specializes in "Peak Performance.' The vaso problem could be caused by too low an intake in salt, or too low a hydration level. Shoot high, and you can make.
Grant T. Bright
First . . . Most cases of shortness of breath are due to heart or lung conditions. Your heart and lungs are involved in transporting oxygen to your tissues and removing carbon dioxide, and problems with either of these processes affect your breathing.

That leaves us with a myriad of problems that could cause this symptom. You indicate that you were engaged in a performance, but not what sort of performance - did it require exertion, or could it have been just anxiety? Important differences. I might consider anxiety as the first thing to rule out. But a complete physical especially looking at cardiac and pulmonary systems may be in order if you determine there is no anxiety involved.

Here is a list of things to consider for someone your age [doubtful it has anything to do with your vasil vago history].

Asthma

Low blood pressure (hypotension)

Heart problems

Heart arrhythmias

Anemia

Generalized anxiety disorder

In the case of chronic shortness of breath, the condition is most often due to:

Asthma

Heart dysfunction

Obesity

Lung problems
I agree with previous posts that you first need to make sure you are healthy, so see your physician.

You would be surprised at how many people have troubles with breathing that are anxiety or, in other ways, psychologically triggered. If it is related to episodes of anxiety, the sensations of tightness in the chest, difficulty catching ones breath and feeling like there isn't enough oxygen could all be attributed to a normal physical response (called the "fight or flight" response) to potential "danger." I put quotations around danger because the "fight or flight" response can be triggered by fear of many different sorts- not always to cues that logically appear dangerous. The symptoms you described are the kinds of anxiety responses that can be associated with fairly neutral cues sometimes. For example, if you had a moment during your performance where you suddenly felt like you couldn't breath, you might have since learned (without necessarily even being aware of it) to be more vigilant and apprehensive in the presence of even mild, similar breathing-related sensations. Hyper-vigilance can make you notice and be afraid of sensations that you might not even normally notice. Noticing them might trigger worry about whether you are experiencing something more serious. The apprehension and worry can then increase the activity of your nervous system (e.g. increased adrenaline,) thereby increasing your symptoms of shortness of breath etc. and so forth.

For some reason, when people start to focus on their breathing, it can cause symptoms like those you described. Its probably got to do with the same phenomenon that occurs when you become very conscious of how you are walking. Another parallel is when someone is watching you walk. Breathing and walking are automatic and don't normally require any attention. Once you start to direct your attention to well learned behaviors, it can feel like they aren't automatic and effortless anymore. When you do that with breathing, you can "not remember how to do it" in a way. It sometimes takes practice to breath mindfully without it feeling forced or unnatural. Just keep practicing breathing in to the count of 4-5 and breathing out to the count of 6-7 (this activates your parasympathetic nervous system which inhibits the "fight or flight" response). As you do it, try to relax your muscles and notice "worry" thoughts. When you notice them, try and let them go and bring your attention back to your breath. Stick with it- it gets easier- and it is well worth the effort.
10/03/2014

You first need to be checked out by a medical doctor for problems with your lungs, asthma, sinus infections and related issues. Barring any physical cause for your problems, the psychological issues would be most likely diagnosed as a panic attack. I would need family history and more information about the issue on Thursday to give you the most accurate information. On the surface, the problem could have been related to the performance Thursday, i.e. "stage fright." Anxiety and panic disorders are caused by a combination of fear and anger. If there is no physical cause and this is only a one time event, there is probably nothing to worry about. If symptoms continue, I would explore the issue more in-depth. Dr. Phyllis E. Davis
Dr. Phyllis E. Davis
10/03/2014

You first need to be checked out by a medical doctor for problems with your lungs, asthma, sinus infections and related issues. Barring any physical cause for your problems, the psychological issues would be most likely diagnosed as a panic attack. I would need family history and more information about the issue on Thursday to give you the most accurate information. On the surface, the problem could have been related to the performance Thursday, i.e. "stage fright." Anxiety and panic disorders are caused by a combination of fear and anger. If there is no physical cause and this is only a one time event, there is probably nothing to worry about. If symptoms continue, I would explore the issue more in-depth. Dr. Phyllis E. Davis
Dr. Phyllis E. Davis
Although a physical examination is necessary to make sure that physical problems are not causing the sensation of shortness of breath, a healthy 14 year old with these symptoms during a psychologically stressful event is likely to be having a panic attack. These occur in 20% of all people and only become a recurring problem in a small percentage. The diagnosis requires other symptoms as well. When shortness of breath is the most prominent symptom, these often include tingling in the fingers and dizziness, along with apparently unrelated symptoms such as chest pain, sweating, feeling flushed and other sensations. A feeling of loss of control is almost universal.

It is important not to be afraid of these attacks. That anxiety only makes them more likely to occur. This anticipatory anxiety has been shown to be strongly linked to thoughts about attacks such as the thoughts "I am 'going crazy'," "I am about to faint," or "everybody is looking at me like I am nuts." While people occasionally faint, if you remember to breathe that is extremely unlikely.

If the problems become persistent but does not occur in other circumstances it is considered due to a specific social phobia (ie, severe performance anxiety in specific situations) and can often be cured by a qualified therapist with a technique called systematic desensitization.

If the problem becomes more generalized in different situations and is severe enough, it is called panic disorder. While this is a little more complicated to treat, there is a very good success rate if the patient is motivated and the therapist is competent in the techniques.
Rick Staggenborg
A test for Kidney us if the problem was not a lack of high potassium or cholesterol test creatinin comment
Cobra Rahbar
Given what you are describing, and that this happened during a performance, this may be an anxiety attack - or more formally, a panic attack. Technically, a panic attack has 13 usual symptoms of which 4 are needed to diagnose an episode; dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, feeling of loss of control, feeling of fear that you are in danger/may die, sweating, numbness/tingling, hot flashes, chills, etc. are among these symptoms. Sometimes, medical issues such and hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety symptoms. You should see a primary care physician to have an EKG and other work up possibly, just in case. However, if this is anxiety related in the end, the best treatment is therapy and possibly medication.