All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Breast Augmentation question:

Are Saline implants still being used?
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Yes, Saline implants are still used in the United States, there are advantages for patients desiring transumbilical approaches as well as some cost advantages. Typically younger patients are more suited for saline as there is better soft tissue coverage.
James Newman
1 UpVoted this answer
Yes, saline implants are still being used. There are pros and cons to both saline and silicone. Anyone contemplating breast augmentation should discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
David S. Chang
1 UpVoted this answer
Yes indeed, and I often suggest them for younger patients. Silicone implants often feel more "transparent," like smooth lumpless breast tissue. However, all implants will leak eventually and need replacement, and monitoring silicone means regular mammograms or scans, which an older patient would be getting anyway for cancer screening. So silicone is typically more expensive over time. This topic justifies a longer discussion with your Board-Certified plastic surgeon.
Michael Cedars
1 UpVoted this answer
Dear Potential Patient,

Saline implants are still widely used. However, the trend in breast augmentation is towards using the new silicone implants. They are approved for cosmetic use by the FDA. The silicone implants have the advantage of looking and feeling more "natural". In my practice, I use silicone implants almost exclusively.
Sugar Land Plastic Surgery
1 UpVoted this answer
"Yes, but silicone are better. If you are looking for about a cup size increase and have areas of localized fat deposits I would highly recommended liposuction with your own fat transferred to the breast. Much more natural look/feel , done under local anesthesia, very little down time & no future implant revisions or mammographic interference ."
Jamal Raza
Saline breast implants are still used today. They can be placed through the transumbilical approach; whereas, silicone gel breast implants cannot be placed through this approach

Most board-certified plastic surgeon use silicone gel breast implants including myself. There are three approaches including transaxillary, periareolar and inframmamary . The inframammary approach allows for the Quick Recovery technique. The periareolar approach is very good for simultaneous breast lifting or mastopexy. I use silicone gel implants almost exclusively in my practice. Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is very important.
Absolutely, and you can get some very nice results with them. You need to sit down with a plastic surgeon and work out what is the best option for you.
Tracy E. McCall
Absolutely. For patients with adequate skin thickness, saline implants are a viable option. Generally your physician will do a pinch test in the upper pole of the breasts. A thickness of no less than 3 mm is recommended in order to consider saline. Saline implants can show more rippling than silicone and for this reason need a fair amount of skin to cover this possible occurrence.
Yes saline implants are still being used but their use in declining rapidly due to the superior outcomes in terms of look and feel with silicone implants. They are more expensive than saline implants and are only FDA approved for women 22 and older. In general the trend currently is declining saline implant use due to superior results with silicone implants.
Yes