All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Cerec sirona or lab?? -i.e. keller or glidwell

i am trying to decide to goto a dentist that uses a cerec machine, sirona or go through a lab... adv: one visit, as to oppose waiting for crown.

but is the material as a strong in office using digital impressions rather than lab?

what do you recommended?

tooth #19, 4, and 5 crowns needed.
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Mark F. Stabley, DDS Dentist, Rochester Hills Vasant Ramlaggan, D.D.S., H.B.Sc. Dentist, Toronto
I disagree with the last post, respectfully. The crowns that I have made with my CEREC machine on posterior teeth (like 19, 4 & 5 ) can be superior to those manufactured by a laboratory. Quality in dental labs varies tremendously. Your dentist is in FULL control of the quality of the crown produced by CEREC. I've been in practice 30 yrs. I've seen the good, bad and excellent too. If your dentist takes the time to do a nice preparation, great image and design the crown, an excellent result...far superior to dental lab products is possible. In our office, you could be scheduled for all three of these crown in one morning and leave by noon. Finished and with the highest quality dentistry has to offer, All the best!
Andrew Sauchelli
1 UpVoted this answer Daniel Huigens, DDS Dentist, La Verne
The question of strength of the crowns are usually not an issue. The strengths are going to be relatively the same if using the same material, and in this case is lithium disilicate. The issue is more the accuracy of the fit. If you're dentist is using the older scanner that requires powder, the accuracy of the fit of the margins will have some errors. If the dentist is using the new scanners that do not require powder, the fit will be more accurate. And if there is an error, the lab can fill in those voids with porcelain. Most dental offices do not have the capability to do so.
Hao C. Tran
1 UpVoted this answer Daniel Huigens, DDS Dentist, La Verne
You will likely find that the crowns done using Cerec technology are on a par with crowns done in a lab, given the same type of material. The technique of the doctor using the technology will be important to you as not all doctors will have the same skill level. This, of course, is true not matter what kind of dental work you have performed.

For a recommendation, call your local dental society, or ask a friend or relative who has had a positive experience with a dentist near you.
Synneve Skeie
CEREC-trained and experienced practitioners can produce crowns superior in strength and quality to any laboratory. The key is to know the experience level of the dentist with the CEREC machine.
I have used CAD/CAM technology for many years. The strength and quality are as good or better than commercial labs.
Cecer is the way to go, the final result is very comparable, its convenience that will make it a breeze.
Since you have a diagnosis for the need for a crown on 3 teeth I assume you have already been to a dentist. I will also assume that the recommendation for crowns is appropriate treatment for the teeth in their current condition.

Understand that even the lab may be using the same technology and materials that your dentist will use in their office.

There are significant advantages for treatment in a single visit for your own scheduling and immediate placement of the final restoration.

However, both treatment options, when performed correctly will give you an excellent, long lasting result.
Kurt Mitchler
i have done over twol thousand Cerec crowns since I started doing them in 2003 and have been very satisfied. Before emax porcelain became available for Cerec I experienced some breakage, maybe as much as 5-10%, but since I started using the stronger emax porcelain the breakage is almost nonexistent. Breakage generally occurs when the crown is too thin or left in hyperocclusion (too high). My patients who have Cerec crowns are extremely happy with the esthetics - I have done many front teeth with them and challenge any lab done crowns to look better. Nearly everyone is thrilled with the one-appointment process.
I agree with what most have posted here. The strength of the materials is going to be relatively even. Advantage of Cerec is no temporary crown, and the digital scan of the teeth is superior to the traditional impression. Being that those are all back teeth, we are not overly concerned with esthetics like we would be if we were placing a crown on a front tooth. In those cases, there is no way a machine can match the artistic eye of a great lab technician (who can reproduce so many minute details that the machine just can't).

In this case, I would just go with Cerec. Sounds like it will be a great option for you with less visits.
Justin Dugas
I agree with many of previous posts that it is a choice and you have to decide based on what is your goal and how much of the end result your doctor is able to deliver. Whatever method or approach will be used the end point is to save the tooth, have functionally and aesthetically appropriate coverage. If the technology is available and your doctor have been consistently successful with the CEREC crowns you should not hesitate to get them done using that technology. I by myself prefer to have lab to process my crown and have fine glaze and finish. The question "do I prefer one visit appointment" is a preference. You have to make the decision nobody will be able to answer that for you.