All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Pain

Please help me interpret these results from my recent pelvic sonogram......I have been have pain in lower left abdomen radiating to back Impression: Uterus with generalized fibroid changes. Persistent mass noted in pelvis with no significant change in size -? posterior subserosal degenerating nodule fibroid -? endometrioma. Physiological sized cyst noted in left adnexa.
Poster
  • Female | 52 years old
  • Medications: Pain meds
  • Conditions: Fibroids

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Fibroids cause pain and pressure. There's a chance that when you go through the change this year or next (you're approaching menopause @ 52), the fibroid will shrink and your symptoms will be resolved.
Since your question pertains to the "interpretation" of the sonogram results, I will generally limit my response to that. Otherwise, I believe that the responses of the OB/GYNs, Dr. Carlos Gabriel, MD and Dr. Kianoush Khaghany, MD are quite correct as far as general recommendations...so there's no need for me to elaborate on that. I do agree that more information is needed for an accurate diagnosis.

Uterine fibroids are the most common type of pelvic tumors in women. Relief of symptoms related to fibroids usually occurs at the time of menopause. Most, but not all, women have shrinkage of fibroids after menopause.

Posterior subserosal degenerating nodule fibroid: Subserosal fibroids generally form on the outer uterine wall. This type of fibroid tumor can cause pain by putting pressure on the surrounding organs. Yours may be classified as "degenerating" in that it is breaking down due to decreased blood supply or decreasing hormonal levels.

Endometrioma: This is a type of cyst formed when endometrial tissue (the membrane that makes up the inner layer of the uterine wall) grows in/on tissue outside the uterus...commonly the ovaries. It is commonly seen as part of endometriosis. Endomentriomas have also been called "endometrioid cysts" and tend to occur during reporductive years.

Physiologic sized cyst in left adnexa: An ovarian cyst is a sac filled with fluid that forms on or inside an ovary. "Physiologic sized" would generally mean that the cyst is of a normal size and, located at the left adnexa would generally indicate the region of the left ovary. Typically, this would indicate that the cyst is either a follicular cyst (which is filled with fluid) or a corpus luteum cyst (which may be filled with blood). These are "functional cysts" which are not the same as cysts caused by cancer. OR...It could be an endometrioma having a physiological size.
Jorge A. Sabin
it sounds like you may be estrogen dominant. It would be a good idea to get some hormone testing done with your doctor. Fibroids is usually a sign of higher then normal estrogen.
The degenerating myoma means that it recently grew quickly, outgrew its blood supply, and "infarcted" (did not get enough oxygen, which causes it to die). This is painful.

Take sine Tylenol, Motrin, and increase your hydration.

The subserosal myoma is a fibroid that is growing on the outside wall of the uterus. These tend to cause minimal problems (unless they grow really big and push on other organs).

The endometrioma is uncommon at your age, and it would be nice to have a little more information regarding bod flow, resistance index, solid components, wall thickness, to classify your risk of malignancy.

Once you rule out the rush of malignancy, your options are to wait it out or have surgery. Considering how close you are to menopause (find out your mom's age at menopause), you can poetically ride it out.

There are no effective medications to treat the fibroids (this isn't 100% true but they are off label, which means have not been approved by the FDA for that treatment). The reason is that they grow as soon as you stop, and the side effects are so common that most women stop quickly.

There are medical options for endometriosis, but I'm not convinced that you have that.

My recommendation is to get an accurate diagnosis from your doctor and treat accordingly.
Carlos I. Gabriel
To many healthcare professionals are all to quick to suggest removing parts of our anatomy. As far as natural alternatives to deal with endometriosis, there are plenty of options. Seek the assistance of a qualified Oriental Medicine Practitioner or a Naturopathic Practitioner that specializes in herbs. There are herbal formulas that can treat endometriosis and pain effectively.
The findings on your test confirms fibroids and other abnormality that could be the cause of your pain.
Don Ha
If you are not experiencing severe pain constantly, then I would see about trying the medication available for endometriosis. If you are having continued severe pain (doubled over type pain) constantly, then a hysterectomy should be considered. Unfortunately, there isn't any natural meds that will help these unless you wish to do hypnosis for pain. This is where the fine line comes in. If it were me and I had severe pain, I would be grtting the hysterectomy.