All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Will medication help me deal with the loss of someone I was close with? Or do i need to go to therapy?

depression, anger, sad
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
This question is a great one. While I am an MD, and prescribing medications is part of my daily work, I feel that the concept of "medicating" ones emotions is something to be taken very seriously. As a physician, we are to first do no harm - to me, this includes minimizing the use of medications and side effects. I feel therapy is the first step in treatment for most mood/anxiety issues, and the importance of this cannot be overstated. So the answer to your second question about "needing" to go to therapy, I would say is 'Yes'! Medication may help with some of the symptoms of anxiety and/or physical and mental symptoms related to depression and grief, and there is no shame in taking medication if necessary. However, as it has been said by others, medication will not be the "cure" and, in my opinion, rarely should be taken without therapy alongside it as part of treatment - especially in cases of depression/anxiety and grief and loss. It may be difficult to find a therapist you immediately connect with, but do not give up on therapy as a whole due to one connection - it's THAT important! All the best, and sorry for your loss ...
If your grief has lasted a long time and doesn't seem to be abating, I would recommend seeing a therapist. Once you are in therapy, if your emotions continue to be overwhelming and interfere with your ability to function, you might want to consider a trial of anti-depressants. You would want to avoid having such a high dose as to leave you feeling numb or out of contact entirely with your emotions. Emotions are important and not feeling them will simply postpone the natural (and inevitable) process of grieving. However, if they are too intense, they can interfere with working through a loss. In my experience, this can happen when the grief is complicated by things like unresolved issues with the deceased. Because complicated grief can be so much tougher to work through, it is a good idea to not try and do it alone. Find a good therapist!
To decide whether you need self help, medication, therapy, or some combination of these, visit your primary care physician and discuss your symptoms and whether they interfere with your life. Minor symptoms that do not interfere with your life can probably be managed through self help of some kind. The more severe symptoms involving deep sadness, anger, too much or little sleep or nutrition that go on past a month, need a consultation with a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you determine how to get your needs met.

I hope you find this helpful.
Medication may help, however, it is not a "cure", so don't be fooled into thinking that will solve your problems. You don't mention how long ago you lost your loved one. This makes a difference in diagnosis and treatment. Grief is "normal" after a loss, however, grief can turn into depression. I suggest you find a therapist you feel is a good fit for you. Someone you have confidence will listen and help you through this difficult time. Not someone who will tell you what to do, but a professional who will guide you through the process of loss and into acceptance so that you can move forward with your life. Research shows that medication alone is not sufficient, but coupled with therapy can be helpful. An evaluation with a psychiatrist regarding the medication would be advised. And, find a therapist who will help you process your feelings, make sense of your world, and move on with your life.
Rebecca E. Thompson
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Grief is a normal and painful part of life. While medication may help with your symptoms, therapy will help you address the issue of grief. The best treatment is a combination of therapy and medication.
Please don't numb your grief feelings. As painful as it may be, unless it is keeping you from working or doing your daily activities, you will be better off working through the stages of grief - Grief is not the same thing as depression although it may feel similar - sadness is a natural reaction to the loss of someone or something - depression is not although sadness can become depression if not handled appropriately. people go through the grief process at different rates so check on line and see what they are - the only thing I worry about is if someone gets stuck in one of the stages. But grieve at your own rate - no one else can tell you when you should be done or when you should move on. Don't stuff it either - it will come out in some other way!
Do both for the most effective treatment.
Symptoms usually need to be evaluated. But therapy will be absolutely helpful in this situation.
Many of my colleagues have made thoughtful suggestions, which I agree with. Regarding medication, antidepressants can make grief more bearable if there has been a prior history of depression or a family predisposition to it. Certainly if there are thoughts of suicide, or an inability to function at all, medication use may be more urgently needed. A mild sedative such as the antihistamine Phenergan can give some modest reiief for insomnia.

It is most important to have some person to talk with regularly as the tendency to withdraw is great, and isolation may contribute to shutting off the grief process which can then lay dormant for years. P Berent MD, Park Ridge, Illinois
Philip J. Berent
Medication might help treat your symptoms, quiet down the activity of you mind and the intensity of your feelings. However, therapy can help you gain a realistic perspective on your loss, so that you are left with only the "sweet sorrow" of your grief, and not the "bitter sorrow" of a loss that appears unjust or untimely. All loss happens when it happens, as it happens. Who are we to say how or when loss should occur? I am sorry for your pain.
Ricardo Hidalgo