All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Blood in Stool

I have had blood in my stool for several weeks. Every time I use the restroom their is blood in my stool. Should I see a doctor? What could this be?
Poster
  • Female | 26 years old
  • Complaint duration: 28 days
  • Medications: No
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Blood in stool has many causes, most originate in the gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small and large colon, rectum). There are medications that can cause ulcers and bleeding, these can include aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications (advil, ibuprofen, alleve, celebrex to name a few). Hemorrhoids are a common cause of rectal bleeding as well (they can be internal and external) (they can be painful or painless). If the blood is bright red it usually originates from the lower tract (colon, rectum) and if the blood is dark and tar like it is usually originates from the upper GI tract. Based on your age I would think hemorrhoids as the cause (many treatments including stool softeners, increase hydration, topical medications for pain relief if present, surgical interventions like clipping). The first step involves a physical exam to look for hemorrhoids and possible GI evaluation with a scope. I hope this helps.
Please see a GI doctor, but assuming you have done this and our under their care consider asking them if perhaps this is just constipation

Evidence would be:

-Would a prep used for the colonoscopy temporarily fix the problem?

If so, consider starting with a clean-out like you have for the colonoscopies- or if you are not willing to do this start with at least 2 doses of Miralax per day. This should soften the stool. If not so then the Miralax dose should be adjusted in about 25% intervals every few days to achieve 2-3 soft BM's every day. Keep this up for at least a couple of months if not longer to let the colon return to its normal shape and elasticity-think about this like how long it takes for a body to bounce back after having a baby...
Israel Kochin
Blood in the stool can be a serious problem. Please see your primary care physician as soon as possible. The answer depends on your age, medical problem, and if the blood is in the toilet or incorporated in your stool. Also depends on your family history of colon cancer. At age of 26, you should worry about inflammatory bowel disease, as well as many differential diagnosis.
Robby T. Ayoub
In order for you to get the most of DoctorBase, you should elaborate a little more on your case. It is a great opportunity (free i might add), it is anonymous, so please let's work together, give us more. Naturopathic Medicine strives to eradicate the cause, the symptoms are way too common to base an individualized treatment on.
John Kouame
Suggest that you check with your primary care depending on other elements of your medical history the possibilities range from something as simple as hemorroids (internal or external or a combination thereof) to a polyp or some other growth in your lower intestinal tract. You are certainly better off seeing your primary care practitioner rather than speculating on what it may or may not be.
Edwin Medina
Blood in your stools can be a simple problem or can be very serious. You should consult with your local Naturopath to be sure. Don't put this off, in case there is something serious going on. Good Luck...
First I would ask if you are sure the blood is in the stool. Sometimes we see blood in the toilet and it looks like it is also in the stool when it is not. If you are sure it is in the stool, it can be coming from any number of things. I would suggest that you make an appointment to see your medical practitioner for further evaluation.
Blood in your stool can be caused by something as simple as a bleeding hemorrhoid or as serious as a colon cancer. You're not too young to have either. I think it is important that you see your primary physician who will most likely refer you to a gastroenterologist for further examination. Good luck!
Arthur Sgalia
Blood in the stool is never normal. This needs to be discussed with your doctor. Questions likely to be asked: is this blood mixed with stool or bloody diarrhea, does blood fill the toilet or just stain the paper? Is there pain with passing stool? Patients in their mid 40s and/or strong family history should be evaluated for Colon cancer. For a younger patients, colitis or hemorrhoids are more likely . Please follow up with your doctor
Adam Moskowitz
Although hemorrhoids are the most common cause of blood in the stool at your age, there are other potential causes. Some of these include: Anal fissures, proctitis (inflammation/irritation of the rectal area), colon polyps, rectal ulcers, and in the worst scenario...cancer (although colorectal cancer is much less likely at your age). Despite the fact that the problem is most likely hemorrhoids, you should see your physician about this right away.
Jorge A. Sabin