All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

A friend told me that if my teeth hurt when I drink cold water, then I will most definitely need a root canal.

Is this true, or is there some sort of middle ground where I might be able to get away with just a filling?
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

70 UpVoted this answer
Hi, I would need to know if you just recently had a filling or a cleaning done. Both procedures may cause temporary sensititvity . Also, are you using a whitening toothpaste or a tartar control toothpaste which may increase sensitivity. Hav you recently had a cavity detecting exam by a dentist? Are there root erosions from drinking too much soda or incorrect brushing technique. As you ca see htere are many variables...call your dentist and make an appointment is my best advise.
Constantin Fiacos
61 UpVoted this answer
No way, sensitivity to cold is not an indication of the need for a root canal. When heat makes a tooth hurt and cold relieves it then the nerve is dead and it needs root canal. Cold sensitivity may be root exposure or decay which if left untreated will lead to root canal.
Daniel L. Kaser
40 UpVoted this answer
Typically tooth discomfort from cold water does not indicate the need for a root canal. Many times it is due to root exposure or discomfort after a new filling is placed. If it does not improve in 2 weeks, I would recommend you seeing your general dentist. If you do not have one, we would be pleased to see you.
Sharla Ruiz
31 UpVoted this answer
Looks like you've gotten more than enough responses to advise and confuse you, so i won't add to it.
Charles Davidowitz
23 UpVoted this answer
Not true. Gene lily, cold sensitivity is caused by a gum recession. When previously unexposed teeth root surfaces get exposed-it causes cold sensitivity. Plz, have your dental hygienist do a thorough periodontal charting during your next 3, 4 or 6 month recall appt that will include him recession measurement and talk to her about your cold sensitivity.
Serge Orlov
18 UpVoted this answer
Your friend's statement is not correct. You may have a reversible pulpitis. You should contact a dentist for an examination and treatment.
Irvin A. Roseman
15 UpVoted this answer
the longer a tooth that is cold senstive is left untreated the likelyhood of a needed rootcanal increases. However there are times when a tooth becomes sensitive due to exposure of root surface. This at times can be relieved by toothpastes such as sensodyne.
15 UpVoted this answer
When tooth decay progresses beyond simple restoration with a filling, to infect the nerve of the tooth, root canal treatment is necessary to save the tooth. The infected nerve is removed and replaced with a root canal filling, likely a rubber material gutta-percha cemented in place.

The procedure usually requires one or two appointments and is not painful once the tooth is thoroughly numbed. After completion of the root canal, the tooth is weak and brittle, requiring a crown to restore the natural strength and beauty of the tooth.

The alternatives to root canal treatment are not favorable. Delay in treatment often means increasing pain and swelling as the infected nerve deteriorates into a dental abscess infecting the surrounding jaw bone and face. The tooth can be extracted and replaced with an implant crown. This alternative is twice as expensive and time consuming than simply saving the tooth with root canal treatment.

At Adult Dentistry of Rochester, Dr. Dulski believes that the best root canal treatment is one that never need be done. With routine X-rays and examination, tooth decay can be restored with a simple composite filling for one-tenth the cost of a root canal and crown. To learn how Dr. Dulski can help you avoid the time and expense of complex restorative care, visit http://www.dulski.com/rootcanals.html.
Joseph L. Dulski
11 UpVoted this answer
How much pain? Some when you drink ice water, or are you taking tylenol or motrin? This is of course more complicated and you should get it checked out. My main point of contention is that seems as if you are waiting for pain to see a dentist, the reactive approach, if you are preventive and see the hygienist regularly you would already know. Being preventive means that we focus on the skills which enable us to avoid the infections that take our teeth away. Caries and Periodontal disease. Find a dentist that you like and visit once or twice a year.
11 UpVoted this answer
sensitivity to cold is not an indication for a root canal treatment. It can simply be due to exposed root surface or dentin.(may be due to presence of cavities) A vital tooth can be sensitive to cold as opposed to heat.