All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

swollen legs

at the end of my work day my legs swell really bad
Poster
  • Female | 60 years old
  • Conditions: diabities high blood pressure asthma

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Creighton B. Wright, MD Vascular Surgeon, Cincinnati
There are four common causes of swollen legs, or dependent edema. First, heart failure, which can be caused by several different diseases. Then, low protein levels from liver disease. Third low protein from certain kidney diseases. Lastly, leakage of fluid from the blood vessels into the space around the blood vessels, a condition known as interstitial edema. Obesity, hot weather, and certain blood pressure medications, especially calcium channel blockers like amlodipine, can do this. An unhurried visit to your doctor can help sort this out and choose an appropriate course of action. Good luck!
Arthur Sgalia
I recommend a good compression stocking to assist and aerobic exercise and leg muscle strengthening.
Dr. Nathan J. Savage
Swelling in both legs usually is the result of water retention, especially if it is symmetric. It may be as a result of heart failure, kidney failure, liver disease or a combination of the above. Although vein disease may be a cause of swelling, it should only be an evaluated after other causes have been explored and addressed.

Lymphedema usually involves one leg, and the swelling usually doesn't go down overnight.
You need to see your PCP to opt your medications, most likely your BP is not controlled or you have vascular problems. Need additional testing and medication optimization.
Swollen legs are common and I have many patients with this. Some practical recommendations include decreasing salt intake and trying to elevate your legs as much as possible. Ted hose or tighter stockings worn during the day can help as well. Causes include lymph-edema (which usually does not pit), heart failure, kidney disease or liver disease. Varicose vein dysfunction can also lead to leg swelling and discoloration if present for many years. I have several patients in which I did extensive workups and did not find any reason, in addition to the above practical tips they improved significantly with diuretic medication which they take on a as needed basis.
I would consider seeing a physical therapist that specializes in cardiovascular conditions. Many hospitals offer cardiac rehabilitation programs that you would likely benefit from.
It is worth it to have a visit with your doctor about this since there are so many causes of leg swelling. Two big ones to check out are congestive heart failure, where fluid backs up behind a weakened heart, and venous insufficiency, where veins in the legs don't work properly. Try using light compression socks (15-20 mmHg) that you should be able to buy in a pharmacy for symptom relief in the meantime.
Need to check your heart. May have hypertensive heart disease and other heart disease and posibly pulmonary hypertension. Loose weight if you are overweight. Check your lower extremities for deep vein thrmbosis and venous insufficiency.
Robby T. Ayoub
How is your kidney function? In diabetes with hypertension, that's what I'd look at first. It could also be edema unrelated to the kidneys from dietary factors, obesity, and sedentary work (desk, standing, etc).

After you've ruled out kidney dysfunction with your physician, i would recommend drinking more water, cutting down on salty foods (keep sodium below 1500mg/day, and exercise to improve venous and lymph flow in the lower body.

While you're working, make sure you are moving frequently. Get up and walk around the office, knee bends, calf raises on the stairs, etc.
Nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy), and thrombotic events (due to platelets dysfunction) in Diabetes can create chronic venous insufficiency, thus the swelling and ulceration of lower extremities. Recommendations:

If relevant, try to lose weight

Adhere to the DASH diet

Stop smoking, stop drinking alcohol

Most of all do not work long hours on your feet.

Use vitamins B3, B6

Eat some horseradish

Have some Bromelain to decrease capillary fragility

Finally see a Naturopathic Physician to manage your Diabetes, all the above is just adjunct treatment. The treatment has to be holistic, to be really effective, and that's what we do best.

Be well!
John Kouame