All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Im justice boyd and i was told I had to wait 2 years to get braces do i have to wait that long?

Why would I have to wait 2 years to get braces?
Poster
  • 15 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Weight: 95lbs

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Ask your orthodontist or consider a second opinion if he/she can't explain it. You might be behind on depending on your dentition and the eruption of your permnant teeth.
Hi Justice. Your time with the braces on should be the minimum that it takes to gently move the teeth to their optimum position. I am confident that the 2 year time frame that you were given is correct. You could have them on now if you wish and the 2 years waiting for the rest of the permanent teeth to come in (to correct) would just be added to your total time with braces. The fact is that the longer you have braces on- the more susceptible to decay that your teeth become. Gentlemen get their permanent teeth in sometimes 2-4 years after the young ladies. So wait patiently and your time will come.
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
Dental development varies widely among kids. I once had a set of identical twins as patients, and as the first twin was exiting braces, his brother was just starting. There can be many reasons...tooth eruption/exfoliation, home care issues, maturity, etc. Only your orthodontist and general dentist can tell for sure when you will be ready.
Louis B. Sachs
Hello Justice Boyd, anything that any dental practitioner tells you comes from their training and their experience in practice, actually doing what they studied. Like riding a bike it looks a certain way just seeing it, but actually doing it is different and becoming really good is trickier that you thought at times. Some of the reasons might be some baby tooth that might not be ready to go, (can't put brackets on baby teeth) , adult teeth are not fully formed, if the tip of the root is not finished forming you can really harm the tooth trying to change its position. Overall length of treatment , it might be a simple case that will take 12 months when you are 15, but if you start now it will take 36 months for the same result. In my experience it takes about 6 months of silver brackets for a young patient to look at you and say "Doc when am i going to be done" you'll see young sir.
Maybe? I would ask the dentist why he/she thinks that you need to wait. Your dentist or orthodontist probably had a good reason why he/she recommended the 2 year wait.
It may have to do with the teeth that are erupted in your mouth. Perhaps you are excessively late getting teeth. I would ask your orthodontist or consider a second opinion if he/she can't explain it adequately.
Timothy Agapas
there is "have too" and should. No, you don't have to wait, but depending on your dentition and the eruption of your 2nd molars especially, it may be wise to wait. Ask your orthodontist why they suggest waiting and what your concerns are.
How old are. most people have braces placed after all the adult teeth are in.
Gary R. Ricketts
Justice

There is no way for anyone to tell without knowing more about you and seeing your xrays. Your dentist or orthodontist would be the ones you should ask. Good luck
Irving J. Leonard
The answer to your question has to do with your age. When to start orthodontic treatment, whether regular metal braces or Invisalign, often is determined by when the baby teeth are gone and all the permanent teeth have grown in. Usually this is at age 12-14. This is the case for most kids, although once in a while an orthodontist will start special treatment as young as 7-9 years.

So if you are a young teenager, your dentist is correct in estimating that it might be as long as two years before you are ready for treatment.
William Gussow