All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

full crown or temp filling?

back in april i had:

1. mercury filling replaced by composite.

2. begining feeling pain on the tooth #3, in july.

3. went to several dentist, orginal one said, cracked tooth syndrome when biting down.

4.another dentist said put a temp filling on.

what do you think? pain when biting down i feel.
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old
  • Complaint duration: 19 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Your tooth needs to be evaluated with an X-ray and vitality tests by a dentist. If the nerve is vital but your symptoms continue, you may need a crown.
1 UpVoted this answer David J. Darab, DDS, MS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hickory
It is always a disappointment when this happens. Fortunately it occurs only rarely. Your tooth needs to be evaluated with an X-ray and proper testing to determine the condition of the nerve inside the tooth. Some of this testing will require you to answer subjective questions about your symptoms.

Possibility of a cracked tooth needs to be considered because if the filling was done well and a cracked tooth is ruled out, then doing nothing or a root canal treatment are the options to consider. The choice of which depends on many variables.

If a cracked tooth is strongly considered then placement of a temporary crown is what I recommend for two reasons, first protect the crack from getting worse, second it gives you time to determine if the nerve is healthy and the root canal can be avoided.

Worst case scenario is that the tooth is cracked down the middle and will need to be removed.
Kurt Mitchler
Odds are your tooth was cracked from years of biting down on an old mercury filling. The crack may or may not extend into the pulp (nerve) of the tooth. The composite may have been of insufficient strength to properly restore the tooth, or the bite could simply need to be adjusted. If the adjustment does not fix the sensation, you may need further treatment ranging from a ceramic restoration, a crown, or if the crown has split the tooth, you may lose the tooth altogether.
Given your description, I would recommend that your dentist adjust your bite (occlusion) first before replacing the filling with a temporary one (that would sedate the nerve) or assume that you have a cracked tooth. Composite restorations bond to the tooth which causes flexing of the tooth if the bite is "high". This can lead to pain on pressure. If you also have cold/air sensitivity, it is possible that there is microleakage somewhere, decay left behind, incompletely cured composite present or some other problem with the composite itself. A thorough analysis of the situation by your dentist will result in appropriate treatment for this tooth. Delaying further might result in the need for a root canal.
Sharon Szeszycki
If it does not hurt except for the bite, most likely the tooth is compromised by some type of fracture. Reduction of the occlusion is the first remedy- if that helps stop there. (that helps in most cases) Next, if pain persists for more than 10 seconds of so after the stimulus of biting is ceased, then you are normally looking at some pulpal involvement. In that case a RCT root canal therapy treatment will probably be in order. Lastly it may be cracked too far and an extraction may be in order. Try an Implant if that is the case. Best of luck and your Dentist has your best interest in mind. It may take a little time to figure it out.

Good luck, Brian
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
The most conservative path is to replace with a temporary filling and see if the pain resolves, if it does, then you can have a filling placed in the tooth, if not, you may not only need a crown, but also a root canal
If filling is large, I would go with inlay. If filling is large and you are clenching your teeth, I would go with a crown. If filling is on a smaller side, I would re do the filling and would use total etch technique to minimize sensitivity and layer the composite accordingly
If your dentist has already taken an xray, and checked the bite, and everything is normal, however you have pain upon chewing, your best bet is to have a sedative temporary filling, if that also is symptomatic, you must consult an Endodontist, prior to having dental crown done, Cracked tooth depending on where the crack is has many treatment choices, depending if the crack is above the gum, or below the gum.

Best advise is to keep your tooth as long as possible and have minimal invasive dental treatment .

Hope that helps.
I would place the temporary filling or better yet, a temporary crown on the tooth for a month. If the symptoms go away, I would move towards doing a crown. If the symptoms do not go away, or if it is discovered that the crack goes below the bone level, it may be necessary to do a root canal or to extract the tooth, depending on the circumstances. It is never fun when this happens. I wish you all the best.
This could be a cracked tooth, it could be the occlusion (biting surface) needs to be adjusted. It is hard to tell without an examination of the tooth in question.
Brian S. Nylaan, D.D.S.