All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Hit head unsure if doctors visit is needed

I hit my head about 6 days ago hard enough to give me a pretty deep cut above my left eye, the cut by my eye didn't bleed very much which is surprising because of how deep it was and one pupil is larger than the other but it's very small difference and I'm almost positive it's always been like that. Other than that I didn't lose consciousness and I have minor concussion symptoms and a little bit of a stiff neck.
Poster
  • Male | 22 years old
  • Complaint duration: 6 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
From your description, you probably have had a mild concussion and a cervical strain. However, with the reports of pupil asymmetry and "concussion" symptoms, I would recommend an evaluation by a board certified primary care physician at the very least. You may also need an evaluation by a neurologist and/or an ophthalmologist.
Concussion symptoms + pupil difference + stiff neck = neurologist consult.
You should see a primary care doctor, an eye doctor or neurologist. If you have decreased vision in the eye near the head cut or if you have double vision you should seek immediate medical attention. Of concern is the unequal pupils, even if you noticed it before. It is best for this to be re-evaluated by a professional specially with your symptoms.With the injury you describe, it is best to be cautious and thorough.
Fernando A. Arteaga
A blow this hard can cause internal damage inside your head and from what you are experiencing it is very likely that you have a concussion. A stiff neck and the possibility of unequal pupil sizes following this type of injury indicate you should head in for an immediate evaluation. The nearest emergency room would be your best choice.
Jeffrey Jessup
If you answer yes to any of these questions you need to seek medical attention.

Do or did you have double vision?

Are you having nausea?

Is your headache increasing in severity?

Is your mental acuity affected?

Is the wound healing properly?

Does you vision focus normally in each eye.
David Resneck-Sannes
Yes, absolutely get this checked by either an optometrist or ophthalmologist. Even if the pupil has been like that for a long time, you do not want to ignore any possible neurological problems. You will probably also notice that reading is going to be extra difficult over the next few months, that your peripheral awareness will be reduced, that you will be more sensitive to bright lights and sudden changes, and that you will get aches over that eye . If those become bothersome, they can be helped by a functional optometrist (also known as a developmental, behavioral, or neuro-optometrist).
Amy J. Thomas
Indeed, you need to see preferably Neurologist or general doctor who has experience in evaluating and treating concussion and head trauma, for an evaluation as you sound like you had mild concussion, and question of pupil (some people do have since birth asymmetric pupils) and neck stiffness (possible spine injury).
Play it safe and get an eye doctor to check it out. They will be able to tell if you need additional testing like a CT or MRI.
Dennis Garcia
Even though you say you are "sure that the pupil was larger than the other ", it behoove every person that has a head trauma to have it properly evaluated. It is not worth it to take a chance with your brain.
Wendy Nielsen
I'm concerned about you and feel that you do need to see a doctor. You did not mention how you got the cut on your face, but if it was severe enough to cause all of your symptoms, it is serious enough that you should see a doctor.
Charles E. Porch