All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

I had scar revision surgery on my cheek almost 5 weeks ago by a plastic surgeon that isn't in the area. I'm noticing bumps all over scar because of sutures underneath and it is thick around it even though the incision line is thin. Will this thickness get better? The incision line is still thin but it's raised and ropey all around it. What can I do if anything to help it? Will it get better with time? Also is it normal to still have redness around the incision. I don't think it is infection as my temperature is normal but I think I'm allergic to sutures underneath or having a reaction to them. They area pds sutures.

Raised scar on cheek what are my options.
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
PDS sutures are notorious for causing inflammation during the early healing phase and should not be used in a superficial plane

You should not re operate no the scar at this point but gentle massage will certainly help dissolve the sutures earlier
Elliot Heller
1 UpVoted this answer
I only use monocryl sutures in the dermis. Some physicians use PDS, but I have occasionally seen these sutures extruding from the skin. They may form open wounds in the scar line.

Redness following surgery is usually not an allergy to the sutures, but rather part of the healing process. Inflammation is part of healing. Inflammation includes more blood flow to an area. It will cause a scar to be reddened. However, scar mature and color almost always fades. It takes a minimum of 6 months and up to 18 months for scars to improve.

Sometimes silicone scar sheets will help to improve the outcome. If the outcome is poor after several months, I would recommend scar revision. This involves excision of the scar and meticulous, layered tension-free repair when possible.
1 UpVoted this answer
Please call the office and speak to Madison. 775-826-4477. Thank You
Phillip Dahan
1 UpVoted this answer
Cannot respond without seeing you in the office. You should contact the original surgeon and send him/her pictures. It may be a simple response to the sutures or it may be something different that needs attention. Contact the original surgeon because he/ she knows what was done and how it was done.
Vigen B Darian
Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips found in the following Link: http://drnichter.com/best-scar-management/
Larry S. Nichter
PDS lasts a little longer than monocryl this may create inflamation for longer. redness and inflamation are part of the healing process, so is firmness. massage will help.. topicals including scar creams, silicone strips and so on may be helpful
I went to see a local plastic surgeon recently. At first he said he wouldn't do this normally, but this isn't a normal situation so he recommended scar revision. I paid him 600 up front half of the 1200 fee. Then when I asked him later if it is too early to do surgical scar revision he said he wasn't doing surgical scar revision so now I'm totally confused as I paid full price for surgery scar revision. I emailed the office to ask can I get my money back.

He said it is so red it looks like an infection so he put me on antibiotics first. I was desperate to get the sutures out, since they are causing me so many problems, big sore bumps, sutures poking out, raised and thick looking scar even though incision line is still very thin. It's like I'm building scar tissue around it. I think I will go to a few more plastic surgeons to get their advice but my gut tells me to cancel this appointment. I'm just hoping i can get my deposit back and hang in there for longer. He told me I need to get the sutures out ASAP as I am having a sever reaction to the foreign body. Thanks!
Poster
Scar revision is simple but can result in behaviors that are unpredictable. The best results come from scars that have functional impairment rather than just for cosmetic dissatisfaction. Functional revisions allow for improved movement and function of the surrounding tissues. Cosmetic repairs are simply to make the scar look better. This is much more difficult to predict. After the surgical repair one must allow for adequate time to elapse in order to make an appropriate judgement about the final result. 3 to 6 months is not unusual. The situation that you are describing could be the result of an aggressive reaction to the suture material and may subside without any intervention. I would suggest you seek attention by a Plastic Surgeon in your area to be sure that there is no clinical problem requiring either incision and drainage or steroid injections to circumvent a problem. Be patient and good luck.
Joseph K. Bivens
It is stiil very early in the healing process to judge the final outcome. Scar therapy such as scar fade,mederma or skin medica scar kit could be very beneficial. Finally is not to uncommon to have a mild allergic reaction to the suture material which will clear in no time
German Newall
Although waiting is difficult, it is still too soon to pass final judgement. Your skin is still in the healing process now.

There are some simple ways to address this issue if in several weeks it does not appear to be resolving.

If you are truly worried, try to find a local plastic surgeon that can evaluate the incision area.

When seeing you in person, he or she will be able to better assess you and advise you.

Best Wishes,

Evan Manolis, M.D.
Evan T. Manolis