All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Why have I had my period for 13 days? Is this bad?

still a heavy flow
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

27 UpVoted this answer
Depending upon your age, follow-up is very important. If you are young & this is the first time it has happened, you will want to see if it continues or happens again in which case you should schedule an appt. w/ your health care provider. If you are over 40 yrs old or if you are menopausal you should be evaluated w/ hysteroscopy & endometrial biopsy.
Norm Dahm
16 UpVoted this answer
There are a number of reasons why your period may be longer and heavier than usual. You did not give your age so I will give a generic answer. You most likely did not ovulate this last cycle and therefore the uterine lining has not been converted to a normal postovulatory lining that usually sheds over 4-7 days. You may also be pregnant, and if you are you could be having an early miscarriage. You may also have an endometrial polyp that could cause heavier or prolonged bleeding, polyps are more common in women over 35. If you are at risk for pregnancy I would get a serum (blood) pregnancy test. If you are not at risk for pregnancy I would call your Ob/Gyn to have an U/S turn and possibly be placed on medication to stop the bleeding.
8 UpVoted this answer
First do a pregnancy test to determine that this is not related to pregnancy complication such as a miscarriage or tubal pregnancy.

If not and your periods are consistently running longer than 7 days you should be evaluated for the cause. Many possibilities but usually can be covered during a single office visit. depending on your age will include an ultrasound, blood tests, and perhaps a biopsy of the lining of your uterus. Sometimes further evaluation with a small scope inserted into your uterus may be needed to look for benign growths (eg. polyps, fibroids).

Regarding solutions there are many depending on the cause. But none of this will get figured out until you get seen by your gynecologist. Wishing you good health!
8 UpVoted this answer
YOu need to schedule an appt to be evaluated with labs and ultrasound. This could be due to hormonal imbalance or abnormalities of the uterus.
Nicole J. Nguyen
6 UpVoted this answer
Without knowing your age it's difficult to say how worrisome this may be. This is quite common in adolescent (younger teenage) patients. In patients with previously normal menstrual cycles who experience a significant change such as this, the best advice is to see a provider. You can start with either your primary care doc or make an appointment with an OB/GYN, the initial work-up is fairly straightforward and should get you an answer pretty quickly. Either way I would seek care, but also try not to stress, as often times the only thing normal about normal periods is that occasionally you can experience an unusual one. Any change in exercise regimen, diet, weight gain/weight loss or stress can affect your periods. But my strongest recommendation is to see someone, and then you won't worry!
Susan Mueller
5 UpVoted this answer
The bleeding you are describing is not normal. It is not necessarily something bad either. You should get a pregnancy test and see a physician to have further testing done soon.
5 UpVoted this answer
You need to see a doctor, rule out a pregnancy, have an ultrasound, an exam and lab tests to figure out why.
Claire M. Serrato
4 UpVoted this answer
You need to be tested for pregnancy. If that is negative, you probably did not ovulate this month and are having an "anovulatory" bleed. You should discuss this with your care giver. There are numerous causes that vary in importance based upon your age and other circumstances.
Richard Demir